I cannot tell you how many times we have made these. Typically we make ahead, then reheat for dinner, but I can’t keep myself from snitching throughout the day. Especially in the crazy zucchini days of summer, but also in winter as we reach into the freezer to feed us, this recipe is a definite go-to. My frozen, shredded garden zucchini cooks up beautifully in these and now that we raise chickens and have a steady supply of eggs, there’s more reason than ever to pull out the cast iron skillet.
adapted from Mollie Katzen’s Moosewood Cookbook
Makes 4 servings
- 4 packed cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup minced scallions or finely diced onion
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- a few turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- butter for frying
- sour cream or hot sauce for topping
- Combine zucchini, eggs, feta, scallions, flour, and spices in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Fry in butter, on both sides, until golden and crisp, making sure to cook thoroughly on the insides as well..
- Serve topped with sour cream or hot sauce.