Meatballs are a staple in our kitchen. Whether served as a complement to roasted vegetables, atop spaghetti and mixed with marinara or stirred together with a sweet and sour sauce, they are a versatile and easy dinner, loved by all. We have, over the years, tried many recipes: Swedish meatballs, slow cooker meatballs, Asian meatballs. But this basic recipe is the one that I come back to time after time.
- 1 pound ground beef, pork or turkey
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Shape mixture into 20 to 24 (1-1/2 inch) meatballs. Place 1 inch apart in ungreased 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake uncovered 18 to 22 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in center.
- Serve with favorite sauce, alongside pasta or rice, or atop thick bread as a meatball sub.