My husband is our bread baker, so we eat wonderful, homemade loaves of bread for our sandwiches and toast and — lucky us — once every couple of weeks that good bread becomes one of our family’s favorite breakfasts: French Toast. Serve this basic recipe with powdered sugar sprinkled a drizzle of maple syrup. It’s also good with berries or bananas or topped with warm raspberry sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 12 slices good bread
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar. Set aside.
- Heat about a half a tablespoon of butter in a cast iron pan on a burner set to medium.
- Place slice of bread in the egg mixture. Let it soak, then turn it over. But don’t leave it so long the bread falls apart.
- Place in pan and cook until golden on each side, about 2 minutes a side.
- Transfer to an oven-safe pan and keep heated in warm oven.
- Begin again with a new half-tablespoon of butter and a new slice of bread. Repeat until bread slices are gone.
- Serve warm, with toppings of your choice.