This recipe pairs moist chocolate cake with ever-so-tasty cream cheese frosting. Barely a birthday goes by that I don’t make these for someone. Whether it’s birthday or holiday or any excuse I can dream up (after school snack?), these are not to be missed.
recipe inspired by www.bettycrocker.com
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; set aside. In small bowl, mix hot water and cocoa until dissolved; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about one-third at a time, and cocoa mixture, about half at a time, beating just until blended.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each with about 3 tablespoons batter or until about two-thirds full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Ice with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar, plus more as needed
- 1 tsp. milk or cream if needed to thin frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions
- In large bowl, beat softened butter and cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed 2 to 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally, until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in salt and vanilla, then powdered sugar. Add more powdered sugar as needed until frosting is a thick, spreadable consistency. Add milk or cream if needed to make frosting spreadable.
- Spread or pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes.