I didn’t grow up in a particularly snowy place and I had never tasted snow cream until I had kids of my own. But now I won’t let a winter storm go by without making a batch. It’s decadent, yet so simple. And let me tell you, there is nothing easier than harvesting snow! Be sure to make it from fresh snow and don’t try to save any, as the snow’s consistency changes quickly in the freezer. This truly is a carpe diem dish.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup milk, cream or half-and-half
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 cups fresh, fluffy, clean snow
- optional toppings: sprinkles, chocolate chips, strawberries
- In a large bowl, whisk milk, sugar, vanilla and salt together until combined.
- Add snow, mixing in more or less to get to desired consistency.
- Sprinkle on toppings if you like. Dig in!