I have made some version of this salad for many years. Its cool cucumbers and cilantro mix perfectly with the heat of the pepper flakes, the sweet of the ginger and the crunch of the peanuts. There are lots of variations of this dish out there. This recipe is my take, combining all my favorite flavors. Hope you’ll like it too.
- 2 large cucumbers, sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. sunflower oil or coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- sprigs of fresh mint
- Place sliced cucumbers in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with generous amount of salt and let sit for 15 minutes. This both seasons them and helps removed excess water. Rinse, drain and set aside.
- Whisk together vinegar, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, garlic and ginger in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Whisk in oil until all is well-combined.
- Stir together cucumbers, scallions, cilantro and mint in a separate bowl. Toss with dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to blend the flavors.
- Before serving, toss again with chopped peanuts, and garnish with sprigs of fresh mint.