This super moist, incredibly delicious dessert has graced many a holiday table at our home over the years. My girls discovered it at the Two Peas & Their Pod website and have stirred it up over and over — for birthdays and Christmas and, yes, for Valentine’s Day, as well. So if you’re looking for a treat that will earn oohs and ahh from every corner, look no further. Happy Celebrating!
For the cake:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the frosting:
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled to room temperature
For the ganache:
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 24 ounces fresh strawberries, some sliced, others left whole
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water. Batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans onto wire racks. Cool completely.
- Make frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add powdered sugar; mix until smooth, about 4 minutes. Mix in vanilla. Add chocolate. Beat on medium speed until all is creamy. Set aside.
- Make ganache: Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it just bubbles at the edges. Turn off heat. Add chocolate chips to pan. Let sit for 30 seconds, then stir until the mixture is creamy.
- To assemble: Place one cake layer on serving platter. Frost thickly. Add a layer of sliced strawberries. Place second cake layer atop the strawberries. Press down gently. Frost second layer more thinly.
- Pour ganache over top of cake, letting it drip down the sides. Wait for ganache to set, about 15 minutes. Place strawberries atop cake prettily, slicing some and leaving some whole. Gently press berries into the ganache.
- Slice and serve.