When your garden gives you more zucchini than you can eat for dinner, it’s time to start eating them for breakfast. My family fell in love with these hearty, just-sweet-enough muffins.
Recipe inspired by Ambitious Kitchen
Makes 12 muffins (I often double the recipe to be sure to have leftovers)
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable, sunflower or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a separate, medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients: zucchini, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract, oil, egg and milk until well combined. Add to dry ingredients. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.