This summer, we grew okra in our garden for the first time and came to discover how much we loved it. While there are certainly healthier ways to eat this summer veggie, I don’t think there are any tastier ways. The crisp of the corn meal and the slight sweet of the coconut oil turn this into a real treat.
Makes enough for 4 large side servings
- 1 pound fresh, tender okra
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- coconut oil for frying
- fine sea salt to taste
- Cut off and discard tip and stem ends from okra. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Thoroughly coat okra in buttermilk.
- Dredge okra, in batches, in the cornmeal.
- Heat a 1/2 cup of coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven. Fry okra, in batches, for 4 minutes or until golden, adding more oil if needed.
- Sprinkle with fine sea salt, stirring to distribute evenly.