These cookies are among my most requested — both by my own kids looking for a favorite lunchbox treat and by friends who taste them and then want the recipe. A basic recipe (no chocolate or other fancy add-ons), the proportions create a cookie that is crunchy and flavorful. For the best results, choose a peanut butter that’s made of nothing but nuts.
Makes 2-3 dozen
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute whole wheat pastry flour)
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup nothing-but-peanuts peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 1 large egg
- Extra granulated sugar to rolling the dough in
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugars together in a large bowl until well-blended.
- Add peanut butter and egg. Then add in flour mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in a bowl of sugar. Arrange about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Press flat with a fork in a hashtag design.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Let stand briefly, then remove to a rack to cool.