Smoothies are most often an after-school snack at our house. But these smoothie bowls combine the best of a smoothie and a bowl of cereal. They could be a great snack, but make an even better power breakfast. Feel free to mix and match both smoothie ingredients and toppings to keep things exciting and to suit everyone’s tastes.
Makes 4 cups
- 2 tsp. fresh, minced ginger
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries (a mix of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries works well)
- 2 cups whole milk yogurt or Greek-style yogurt (or substitute plant-based milk of your choice for vegan option)
- 1/2 cup black chia seeds (or substitute raw, chopped cashews or homemade granola)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (or substitute dried fruit like raisins)
- Sliced fresh fruit or minced mint or lemon balm for garnish
- In a good blender, add ginger, bananas, berries and yogurt. Blend on high for 30 seconds or so until all is well-mixed, taking care to scrape down the sides of the blender in the process.
- Divide equally into four bowls. Sprinkle each with a line of chia seeds, then a line of coconut flakes (or whatever toppings you’re using).
- Add extra fruit or mint or lemon balm. Serve, along with a spoon.