Some of my kids’ favorite muffins are chock full of carrots, pineapple and coconut. So it stands to reason that they’d like carrots in their desserts, too. This recipe is one part sheet cake, one part quick bread. It’s carrot cake without the cream cheese icing. Any way you slice it, though, it’s all around delicious.
Makes about 16 servings
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 8 medium carrots, washed, peeled and grated
- 1 cup Ghirardelli Classic White Baking Chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 13×9 inch baking pan.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, mixing after each. Stir in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add half dry ingredient mixture to butter mixture. Mix in carrots. Add rest of dry ingredients. Gently fold in chips.
- Pour batter into prepared dish and spread it evenly.
- Bake 15 minutes. Rotate pan. Bake additional 15 minutes or until batter has risen slightly and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Place pan on wire rack to cool.