Wings are fun, festive, quick to make and delicious. Perfect as apps before your holiday party or as a simple dinner paired with mashed potatoes and salad. When my family last bought a batch of local chicken, we picked up six fresh whole chickens and cut them into parts before we froze them — ziplock baggies of breasts, thighs, wings, legs and leftover bones/parts — each destined for different dinners. It was a fun shakeup from the whole chickens we typically make. And it gave us enough wings to pull off this dish. Whether you’re getting your wings locally or no, the honey, spice and yogurt combo make these hard to resist. Feel free to double the recipe for twice as much goodness.
Recipe inspired by Pub Grub: 77 Apps & Entrees to Satisfy Everyone’s Cravings
For the sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt, homemade or Greek-style
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeeze lime juice
- 1 small clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. honey, local if you can get it
For the wings
- 12 chicken wings
- 1 Tbsp. favorite high-heat oil — canola, sunflower, avocado or refined coconut oil
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup honey, local if you can get it
- 1 small jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Stir together sauce ingredients until well-mixed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 450°F. Line two baking pans with foil.
- In a large bowl, toss together wings, oil and salt. Set wings on baking pans, evenly spaced. Roast for 30 minutes, rotating pans once during cooking time. Cool slightly, then pour off fat.
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, pepper, lime juice and soy sauce. Pour about half of mixture in a medium bowl. Add wings to the bowl and toss them to coat.
- Lower oven temperature to 425°F. Place wings back on baking pans. Roast for 10 minutes more.
- Boil the remaining honey mixture in saucepan over medium heat until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove wings from oven. Slather with thickened glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve warm with honey yogurt sauce and veggie sticks (such as carrots, red peppers, cucumbers and celery).