Sweet potatoes or butternut squash; parsnips or carrots; onions, peppers, even cabbage. Whatever winter veggies you have on hand, toss them into the pan with a splash of olive oil and these Latin-inspired spices. Your cold winter night just got warmer.
- 1 tsp. ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 5 to 6 cups peeled, coarsely chopped vegetables such as potatoes, onions, peppers, celery, beets, pumpkin or winter squash
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup packed, fresh leafy greens such as spinach, kale or Swiss chard
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, salt, pepper and turmeric.
- In a large roasting pan, toss vegetables and garlic with olive oil. Add spice mixture. Stir to combine.
- Roast vegetables, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and tender, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven. Add greens. Toss and heat only a few more minutes, just until greens are wilted.