I am always on the hunt for healthy dishes than can be prepared ahead. This easy-to-make mix of spinach, brown rice, eggs and feta fits the bill — and tastes delicious. Serve as a side with fish, chicken or pork, or increase the portion size and make this your meal’s centerpiece, served with a slice of homemade bread and locally sourced apples or pears.
Recipe inspired by eatingwell.com
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled or diced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Heat oil in large cast iron pan or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper. Cook, stirring, until veggies begin to brown and soften. Add spinach and garlic. Cook and stir for another minute. Remove from heat. Add rice, feta, dill, pepper and salt to pan. Stir to combine.
- Whisk eggs and sour cream in small bowl. Add to spinach and rice. Add lemon zest. Mix well. Scoop mixture into 3 quart oven-safe casserole dish or 9×13 baking dish, smoothing top with back of spoon.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle extra dill on top, if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.